About Joseph R. Neal, Jr.
Focus Areas of Practice
- Serious Road Wrecks: auto, truck, train, bicycle, and motorcycle wrecks
- Fire Cases: electrical, gas, and chemical fires
- Medical Malpractice: hospital, nursing, doctor, pharmacy, and nursing home negligence
- Premises Liability: slip and fall, negligent security, defective conditions
- Defective Products: cars, drugs, electrical or gas fueled products
- Environmental Torts: toxic contamination of land, housing, and businesses
- AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, LexisNexis – 2013
- National Trial Lawyers Top 100 – 2015
- Top Lawyers of Georgia 2014 , 2015 and 2016 as published in Atlanta Magazine
- Life Time Charter Member, Best Attorneys of America, Rue’s Ratings 2014
- Lifetime Member, Multi-Million Dollar and Million Dollar Advocates Forum, “The Top Trial Lawyers In America” – 2012
- Mr. Neal has been nominated for Litigator Awards 2014 and 2015 by the Trial Lawyer Board of Regents.
- AVVO Client’s Choice Award, Personal Injury – 2012
- AVVO 10.0 Rating, Top Attorney Personal Injury – 2012
- Johnson v. Matheison, et al – $1,500,000 historic record settlement in a severe burn injury case against a teacher and a principal with an immunity defense. (Douglas County Superior Court, 2016)
- Anderson v. Hensley – $1,038,000 record setting jury verdict in a road wreck case involving a motorcyclist rear-ended by a drunk pick-up truck driver, including $250,000 in punitive damages. (McDuffie County Superior Court, Ga. 2015)
- Zambrano v. Surface Flooring – $1,000,000 liability policy limits settlement in a third party workplace injury at a carpet wharehouse. (Gwinnett County State Court, Ga. (2015)
- Vann v. Finley – double fatality trailer fire, over $4,000,000 recovered from three defendants. Defeated City of Augusta on claims of official and sovereign immunity in the trial court, Ga. Court of Appeals, and Ga. Supreme Court (2008-2012)
- Hill v. USA Truck Inc. – $3,000,000 jury verdict in Federal Court in Anderson, South Carolina in a tractor trailer v. bicycle wreck case that resulted in a broken leg and minor brain injury to client. (2007)
- Daniel v. Atl. Gas Light Co. – substantial confidential settlement in a wrongful death case resulting from negligent inspection of water heater (2011).
- Curry v. Board of Regents of Georgia, MCG Hospital – $1,530,000 structured settlement for two surviving minor children against the Medical College of Georgia for failure to diagnose and treat a cerebral brain aneurysm of their 27 year old mother (2003).
- Williams v. APAC and SC DOT – $1,050,000 cash settlement in favor of a 50 year old wife, mother, grandmother, and worker who was driving to work in the rain when she hit a patch of standing water on defective section of I-20 in Aiken, S. C. and hydroplaned into trees (2004).
- Peterson v. Board of Regents/MCG Hospital – $777,000 cash/structured settlement for a wife and two children against several doctors of the Medical College of Georgia for failure to diagnose and treat colon cancer of one of its landscaping employees (1999).
- Wilson v. Drew Enterprises – $650,000 cash settlement against a tractor trailer company in personal injury case (2011).
- Morris v. Willie Smith and Waste Mgmt. – $800,000 cash settlement in wreck between logging truck and commercial trash truck (2000).
- Georgia Trial Lawyer’s Association – Vice President and Super Champion Member 2011. Active member since 1999.
- American Association for Justice – activemember since 2000
- Southern Trial Lawyer’s Association – activemember since 2007
- Melvin M. Belli Society – activemember since 2009
- State Bar of Georgia – active member since 1993. Board of Governors candidate in 2011.
- Augusta Bar Assoc. – active member 1993-2012
- Atlanta Bar Assoc. – active member since 2013
- Dekalb Co. Bar Assoc. – active member since 2013
- “Double Fatality Trailer Fire – Creating a Case Where There Was None,” Southern Trial Lawyers’ Seminar, New Orleans, La. 2012
- “Cruising The Deep Powder of Medicare Liens,” Georgia Trial Lawyers’ Seminar, Lake Tahoe, California, 2012
- “Cross-Examination: Witness in the Cross-Hairs, Where Art & Science Intersect” Georgia Trial Lawyer’s Seminar, Atlanta, Georgia, 2008
- “$3,000,000 Jury Verdict in Hill v. USA Truck, Inc.,” Southern Trial Lawyers’ Seminar, New Orleans, La. 2007
- Guest Speaker at Annual Meeting of American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Atlanta, Georgia 2004 – Tort Reform
- Guest Speaker at Georgia Trial Lawyers Association Seminar, Callaway Gardens 2004 – Hospital/Doctor Liens
- Guest Speaker at Georgia Trial Lawyers Association Seminar, Atlanta, Georgia 2002 – Medicaid Liens
- Chairman of the 2011 SummervilleSesquicentennial Celebration
- Chairman of the 2011 and 34th Annual Summerville Tour of Homes
- President Of Summerville Neighborhood Assoc. 2009-2011; Vice Pres. 2008-2009
- Chairman of the St. Johns Towers Advisory Board 2011; Member 2008-2010
- Assistant Football Coach, EDS Panthers, 2010-2011 (Defensive Coordinator)
- Assistant Football Coach (Defensive Coordinator), Neal Law Falcons, 2008
- Team Sponsor, North Augusta Recreation Department 2008
- Irish-American Heritage Society – Member since 2008
- Honorary Commission as a 2nd Lieutenant in the US Army – 2009
- William Daniel National Mock Trial Championships – Juror – Atlanta, Ga. 2013
- American Mock Trial Association Championships – Presiding Judge – Furman University 2008
- Volunteer Assistant Coach – Rich. Co. Rec. Dept. Little League T-Ball and YMCA Soccer. 2001-2005
- Leadership Augusta – 2000
- Mentor, High School High Tech Program 2004
- Mentor, Junior Achievement Job Shadow Program 2003
- Member, Judiciary Subcommittee, Citizen’s Advisory Committee, Augusta-Richmond County Consolidation Taskforce – 1995
- Head Football Coach, Richmond County Recreation Department 1993-1996
- J. D. – Walter F. Georgia School of Law, Mercer University, Macon, Ga. 1993
Honors – Dean’s List, Highest Grade in Tax Class
- B.B.A. – J. M. Tull School of Accounting, University of Georgia, Athens, Ga. 1990
Dean’s List, Accounting Honor Society
- Graduate of Gerry Spence’s Trial Lawyer’s College – 2000, 2001
- Graduate of AAJ’s Ultimate Trial Advocacy Course, The Art of Persuasion, Harvard Law School, 2012